Is the Steam voice chat not working while playing games? Like you, some users are complaining about this issue in the forums. The users are not able to chat with their friends in Steam. This mainly occurs due to misconfigured Windows settings on your system. If you are not able to communicate with your friends, enact these easy solutions on your computer.
If you have suddenly lost the ability to communicate on Steam with your voice, then your gaming experience might suffer. The voice chat function is a neat feature, but it sometimes disappears or becomes unusable for different reasons.
Steam Voice Chat Not Working – Quick Fixes
At least one of the procedures described below should do enough to help you regain the lost voice chat functionality in the Steam application.
- Check if your mic isn’t muted. Try increasing and decreasing the volume.
- Reconnect the mic with your computer. Check if this helps.
Steam’s voice chat feature can sometimes stop working for some users. In this guide, we will provide steps to fix this issue.
Fix Steam Voice Chat Not Working in Windows 10 in: 26 minutes
Change Microphone Settings.
One of the first reasons why the voice chat is not working could that the microphone settings are wrong.
Change Input Settings on Windows 10.
When you make changes in the Sound Control Panel, the configuration will also be reflected on the Settings utility on Windows 10.
Sign Out from All Devices.
Maybe your problem is that you have logged into your account in another PC, and it is currently being used.
Update Audio Drivers.
if you use a driver updater, in just two clicks, you can fix the voice chat not working.
Try Disable Audio Enhancements.
This workaround is the best solution for steam voice chat nor working error. We are sure that this could fix this problem on Windows 10.
You may also like to read
- Best Fake Email Address Generators – Get Free Temporarily Email
- 2 Easy Ways To Remove Phone Number From TrueCaller
- Download Music From TikTok Video On Computer, Android, And IPhone – 7 Easy Ways
- Best Free Fastest Web Browsers For PC
- Best Social Media Security Apps To Protection From Hackers
Enable Microphone Access for Steam
Your system may block the Microphone access in Steam.
1. Press the Windows key+I.
2. After that, click on the “Privacy” settings to access it.
3. After that, click on the “Microphone” on the left-hand side.
4. Under the ‘Microphone access for this device’ settings click on the “Change“. Toggle it to “ON“.
5. Then scroll down to ‘Allow desktop apps to access your microphone’ settings.
6. Here, switch this setting to “ON“.
These modifications should adjust any microphone discrepancies on your system. This should have fixed the issue.
Disable Audio Enhancements
The audio enhancements like the Bass boost, Virtual surround may cease the voice chat function in Steam.
1.At first, what you need to do is to press ‘Windows key‘ along with the ‘R‘ key to open the Run window.
2. Now, type “mmsys.cpl” and hit Enter.
The Sound window will be opened.
3. Once the Sound window, look for the device you are currently using.
4. Then you have to right-click on it, and then click on “Properties“.
5. When the Speakers Properties window opens up, go to the “Enhancement” tab.
6. Then, uncheck the option “Disable all sound effects“.
7. Don’t forget to click on “Apply” and on “OK“.
This will disable all the speaker enhancements.
Sign Out of Steam From Other Devices
Some peoples said that they resolve the issue after realizing that the Steam account was actively being used on a different computer. In this case, the solution was to sign out of the other computer.
Note: If you don’t have access to the PC that is using your account, changing the password will automatically disconnect the account from the other PC.Steam Voice Chat Not Working in Windows 10 PC Fix
Enable Microphone in Steam
1. Open Steam on your computer.
2. After that, click on “Friends” in the menu-bar.
3. Then, click on “View Friends list“.
4. Once the Friends list panel opens up, click on the gear-shaped “Settings” icon.
5. In the ‘VOICE INPUT DEVICE‘ section, click on the drop-down and choose your microphone.
6. Next, check for the “VOICE TRANSMISSION TYPE“.
7. Set it to “Open Microphone” or “Push to talk“.
After that, close all the panels. Close Steam. Re-launch it further and try the comms once more.
End The Steam Processes
PRO TIP:Steam Voice Chat Not Working in Windows 10 PC Fix
Some users found that instead of chatting solo, starting a Group chat fixed the issue for them, so it is a good idea to give that a go if you have a couple of friends online.
Sometimes the Steam operation running in the background can cause this issue.
1. At first, you need to right-click on the Windows icon on the bottom left corner.
2. After that click on the “Task Manager“.
3. Once the Task Manager screen appears, check the Steam services (Like- Steam WebHelper, Steam Client Service, etc).
4. Right-click on the “Steam” services one by one.
5. Then, click on the “End task” to terminate the processes sequentially.
After ending all the Steam processed, close the Task Manager.
Flush Default Configuration of Steam
Flushing the original configuration of Steam will fix the voice config settings in Steam.
1. Press the Windows key along with the “R” key.
2. After that, paste this code in the Run window. Then, click on “OK“.
After that, restart Steam on your system.
Try the voice chat further.
Uninstall And Reinstall Steam
If nothing is working out for you, just uninstall and further re-install the Steam client.
1. At first, right-click on the Windows icon and click on the “Run“.
2. After that, type “appwiz.cpl“. Click on “OK“.
3. After that, right-click on the “Steam” application and then click on “Uninstall“.
4. After that, click on “Uninstall“.
Steam will be uninstalled easily.
5. Once Steam is uninstalled from your system, click on “Close” to close the setup window.
6. After that, go to the Steam website.
7. Then, click on “Install Steam“.
The Steam setup file will download.
8. After the Steam setup has finished downloading, double click on the “SteamSetup.exe” on your computer.
Follow the on-screen instructions to install the Steam application.
9. Click on “Finish” to finish the installation.
You won’t face the voice issue after reinstalling Steam.
More topics for you
- 15 Amazing Computer Tricks And Tips Everyone Should Know
- How To Overcome Wireless Car Charger Problem
- 9 Ways To Fix YouTube Comments Not Loading Error Easily
- Best Free YouTube To MP3 Converters Software
- 5 Reasons – Why Tablets are Better Than Smartphones
FAQ About Steam Voice Chat Not Working
Why is my mic not working?
Check if your mic isn’t muted. If it’s not muted, then your microphone‘s volume might be set to 0, or it has stopped working if your mic isn’t working purchase another headset or standalone microphone.
How do I allow steam to access my microphone?
Select the gear icon in the upper right corner of your Steam Friends list, then select to the voice tab. Windows sound settings: Right-clicking on the speaker icon in your system tray and selecting either Recording or Playback devices.
How does Steam voice chat work?
Steam is more than just a store; it also allows you to keep a friends list. These can be friends you know personally, or friends you have met in-game. In addition to chatting with your friends through text, you may use voice chat as a group provided you have a microphone.
Final Words On Steam Voice Chat Not Working
To sum up, to fix the error of Steam voice chats not working, we have shown you all possible solutions. If you come across the same issue, try these solutions. If you have any better solution to fix it, you can share it in the comment zone.